College Student in Ohio Suffers Fatal Allergic to Milk Product

December 19, 2019

An Ohio college student was found dead in his dorm room after experiencing a severe allergic reaction, according to multiple media reports.

Logan Lewis, who was in his second year in the medical lab technician program at Hocking College, was found unresponsive in his dormitory by authorities on Dec. 6, WBNS reported.

His mother, Jamie Baker, shared the devastating news on Facebook, explaining that Lewis suffers from a severe milk allergy, which proved fatal when he accidentally ingested a product containing milk ingredients.

She said the 20-year-old was unable to manage his EpiPen in time and succumbed to anaphylactic shock.

“One of my kind, handsome and amazing sons, Logan Lewis, received his angel wings last night,” Baker wrote.” My world is shattered and words cannot describe the pain.”

One of my kind, handsome and amazing sons, Logan Lewis, got his angel wings last night. My world was shattered and…

Posted by Jamie Baker on Friday, December 6, 2019

According to his obituary, Lewis served as a resident advisor and had a passion for football, sneakers and cats. He is survived by his parents and a sibling.

In the wake of the tragedy, Baker told WSYX she hopes the situation will encourage other people with life-threatening allergies to speak up and alert emergency assistance so that similar situations can be prevented.

After Lewis accidentally ingested the milk product, he complained of feeling sick and went to his dorm room, his mother said. A roommate found Lewis unresponsive with the EpiPen in his hand.

“He was found there with his EpiPen. it had taken over before he got the shot and by the time the paramedics got there it was too late,” Baker told the outlet.” He took the EpiPen from Logan, gave him a shot, and then 9-1-1, and it was still too late.”

Baker said it’s normal for someone to receive food without considering whether it will have a trigger ingredient.

“It’s easy to accidentally get something that you wouldn’t even think to say, ‘There’s milk in this,'” she said.” I just want today’s kids to let their friends know, ‘Hey, I do have this allergy.’ ”

She added, “We want to try to prevent another allergy-related death [and] give them the courage to say, ‘I have allergies and I’m not afraid to tell it.’ And wear that ID bracelet and carry that EpiPen no matter what. just to make a difference and to save anyone, Logan would want that.”